From:
"Mallory, Alicia" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Apr 2006 14:36:01 -0500
Karyn,

I have been in this situation and simply presented Legal with a formal
records retention schedule.  The Texas State format allows for legal
citations and other justifications to be listed in a "Comments" column.  The
Legal department was fine with this format and was able to suggest
additional citations or other changes based on this.  If additional
explanation was required I wrote the attorneys a formal memo.

If you're interested in an example of Texas State Records Retention Schedule
format see this link:

http://www.tsl.state.tx.us/slrm/recordspubs/index.html

Scroll down to the section called "Records Retention Schedule for State
Agencies".  You have your choice of HTML or PDF.  Warning - The PDF is very
large.

I hope this helps.

Alicia Mallory
Systems Analyst