From:
"Jones, Virginia" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Apr 2006 11:56:05 -0400
I agree with the need for a risk assessment when determining the use of
any service (internal or external).  This would include checking all
pertinent standards and regulations.  For instance, federal agencies are
required to meet the appropriate CFR requirements set by NARA for
records storage.  I would like to point out that the sections from NFPA
232 that Larry quoted are more likely to pertain to multiple-story below
grade environments (in other words basements or very low grade requiring
a limited access elevator like deep mines).  UGS (and similar
facilities) are located in more easily accessible (often a vertical
rather than a horizontal passage requiring elevator access) below grade
environments.  In addition, I believe USG and one or two others are
built into salt caverns or old salt mines which have wonderful moisture
barrier abilities.

Ginny Jones
(Virginia A. Jones, CRM, FAI)
Records Manager