From:
Steve Petersen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 May 2006 15:26:44 -0500
<At the risk of raising Larry M's blood pressure, the concept of moving
inactive records HAS been embraced by IT - at least those that follow
ILM (Information Lifecycle Management) procedures which consist of
moving data and records to less expensive storage space or media as
activity decreases. This does not always result in constant exposure to
the data nor does it always enable immediate access.  I know, I know....
we invented the concept of lifecycle management, BUT we practice Life
Cycle Management of Records & Information which is different from ILM -
both in concept and in practice.>

Ginny,  I really don't think this is necessarily the truth as the two
disciplines are/should be thought of as one process-especially on the
electronic side of the coin.  It's kind of like love & marriage- you can't
have one without the other( Well maybe a BAD example).  While moving to
less costly media over time is the goal of IT-it should also be the RIM
goal while still maintaining the records/information as good evidence (4
tenets).  The audit trail and chain of custody still are needed and with
the rules of Civil Procedure changing having an inventory of systems and
in what tier of storage they're in can affect the electronic discovery
plan your company will take in a litigation action.  Accessible vs
in-accessible and the cost of retrieval will be debated and argued before
the discovery process starts.  I would hope that my IT department would
invite me into this process and that our enterprise ECM structure would
include the storage angle- with my input.  Now time to put on my ruby

My 2 cents

Steve Petersen CRM
Sr. Records Administrator
Rockwell Collins Inc