From:
"White, Bruce" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 May 2006 17:38:05 -0700
Hugh Smith wrote:
>But the newest trend is to use disk to disk back up (or virtual
>mirroring or virtual tape) so then everything is on line all the time as
>the least expensive way to store the information.

I had the opportunity to attend and speak at the Storage Networking Industry
Association's (SNIA) conference held locally a few weeks ago (don't want to
forget Paula Johnson, UCSD, who did a great job answering questions tossed
at her).  I was fascinated by some of the questions and presentations.  From
what I could gather, on-line all the time seems to be the direction most
companies are looking at going to.  Some (or much) of this is being pushed
by the Storage Industry.

>We have the ability to create a thesis that each and every RM could use to
>open the door to interfacing with IT.  I believe ILM can't truly exist
>without RM's. The E-Storage Guideline could be an excellent starting point
>for your discussion.

I think that's the key - seeking out IT to help find solutions.  This
applies not only to storage but e-mail management, back-up strategies, etc.
As an example, most of the members of the local PMI chapter have IT
backgrounds; some of them are involved in designing storage systems for
their companies.  They have an understanding of ILM from an IT perspective
(and what the vendors tell them) but have little if no understanding of
records management and the records lifecycle and how all of this fits in.

In many cases, they don't know who to turn to within the organization.  This
was readily apparent at the SNIA conference, where most of the questions
were directed at Paula and me.  Some acted as if they had never seen or
spoken with a records manager before.

>Could we develop an intelligent position paper among us. (I know Bruce,
>that leave's me out.)
Well, you are an admitted T-Sipper. :>)

>I agree Kutztown and College Station share some of the same traits. More
>cows than people, etc.   Tipping cows is a favorite Homecoming Event in
>both communities.  But if College Station's big plus is being close to
>Austin, well I rest my case.  I will leave it to others to defend ND.

Well, College Station does have the world famous Dixie Chicken Restaurant, a
College Station tradition. http://www.dixiechicken.com/.  Can Kutztown beat
that?

Bruce L. White, CRM, PMP
San Diego, CA