From:
Hugh Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 May 2006 11:16:56 -0400
On May 5, 2006, at 12:00 AM, RECMGMT-L automatic digest system wrote:

> From:    Rich Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: Toughening up Identity Theft legislation
>

> Below is an interesting series of articles which will put an
> interesting spin on this topic
>
> SSL Trojans: The next Great Bank Heist
>
> "Cyber criminals have unleashed a new breed of Trojans that could
> undermine confidence in online commerce. Can they be stopped?"
>
> http://www.infoworld.com/reports/18SRsslmalware.html

Early in my career I worked selling bank security equipment and then
for a large bank as an in-house security and facility design planner.
during that time, a large bank in California had a criminal obtain its
security codes for wire transfer.  He was able to enter the wire
transfer department and able to wire out of the bank $10 million
dollars.  He wired it to a bank in Switzerland to deposit into a
numbered account he set up.  He flew to Switzerland, withdrew the money
and immediately went to the Diamond market and purchased $10 million in
stones and flew back to the states.  For some reason the bank did not
discover this missing money right away.

The criminal was caught because he he couldn't stand that no big
headlines came out so he had to tell someone and he told his lawyer
because he thought it was lawyer client privilege.  His lawyer talked
with the bank, set up a reward and then turned him in.  They recovered
the diamonds.

If a SSL Trojan can get control of the wire transfer capability they
could drain the bank.  The effect of all these things is to increase
the cost of banking.  I think our society's infatuation with speed and
convenience is going to have to change. Somewhere in transactions, a
moment must be taken to insure that the transaction is genuine.

In another Listserv they are beginning a discussion on the proper
procedures for a destruction certificate on computer tapes.  Just
listing a barcode or identifier does not uniquely identify each
document, record or information asset destroyed.  If we cannot document
each item destroyed there really is no proof that an item was or was
not destroyed.  So here is yet another area where questions can be
raised with management?  Before we destroy a tape or CD, what are we
really destroying?

Alas Bruce, no eatery of any distinction exists in Kutztown except for
during the Kutztown German Folk Lore Festival. For 9 glorious day it is
all you can eat old time German ( Pennsylvania Dutch) farm type food.
Home made, hand churned ice cream and funnel cake. An Ox Roast.
Everyone in town is in costume dressed in small town and farm attire
for the mid 1800's. Home made quilts so fine that last year's prize
winner went for $15,000. All the furniture and crafts and art of the
1800's period.  In fact, everything is so old fashioned that if you
added in one of those giant satellite TV Dishes, next to a run down
shed and a rusty car up on blocks you would swear you were in College
Station.  (Snuck right up on you, didn't I Bruce? )

Hugh Smith
FIRELOCK Fireproof Modular Vaults
(610)  756-4440    Fax (610)  756-4134
WWW.FIRELOCK.COM