From:
Sharon Blackstock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 May 2006 08:33:32 -0600
Carla,
Regarding your newspaper clippings, we have been clipping articles for 35+ years (since the city was incorporated) and taping them onto scrapbook sheets. In the beginning they used rubber cement and paste to glue down the articles and of course, this resulted in badly discolored and damaged the clippings. Now we use archival tape and paper, but I digress ... Last year we outsourced the scanning of all the previous years and then imported them into our document imaging system (LaserFiche). We still clip and tape into scrapbooks (citizens like to come in and look through them), then scan the sheets. It's not a good solution for the pictures in the articles, but we can OCR the text and that makes the articles searchable. It's working well for us.

Sharon G. Blackstock, CRM
Central Records Administrator
Lakewood City Clerk's Office
480 South Allison Parkway
Lakewood CO 80226-3127
303-987-7091 (office)
303-987-7088 (fax)
www.lakewood.org

Lakewood's records management objectives: 1) Information is available when needed; 2) Records of permanent value are preserved; 3) Non-permanent records are destroyed per approved retention schedules; 4) Discarded paper is recycled.