From:
John O'Brien <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 19 May 2006 10:38:23 +0800
Following up on Robert Bailey's post noting that in some models the records
manager reports to an archivist with in a generally wider frame of
operation, that was the case structurally in my service as Director,
Government Records Service and Principal Archivist, Hong Kong.  However, as
Grahame Gould notes, the reverse can work equally well.

The structural model selected, either way, sometimes works against the kind
of seamless partnership that is necessary to properly manage information
content from its inception to its eventual disposition.  Regrettably, some
may focus on hardening roles (a problem exacerbated by the role delineation
that is favoured in some jurisdictions).  This creates silos where there
should be bridges, IMHO.  Of course, one may argue (and I might agree) that
delineation allows refinement of a niche/vertical without intent to build
silos.

Ultimately, however, unless the building bridges piece is integrated into
the model, the model becomes a basis for opposing integration. That's a real
problem for the evolution of our respective, partnering domains.

John James O'Brien, BA, CRM, MALT
Partner & Principal Consultant, IRM Strategies
Knowledge Resource Management
Hong Kong +011 852 6192-1086

www.irmstrategies.com

--------