From:
Charmaine Brooks <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 19 May 2006 16:17:37 -0700
Okay here I go with my two cents...

  Wouldn't it really depend on the type of letter (content) where the actual view of what was sent to the reciepient could have an impact on the document as evidence? What information on the letter head would require a true copy of the letter?

  General correspondence that has lower risk may be able to be retained in native format. If you have an ERMS then the document can be "locked" to prevent changes or destruction. Do you have different forms of letterhead or one standard for the company. If it is one standard format that rarely changes, include in your documentation that this format was used for outgoing correspondence from [date] to [date]. If you have multiple letterhead it becomes more complicated.

  If it is a contract or evidence of transactions that may have a higher probability of its veracity being questioned, then yes a .pdf record copy may be prudent.

  Charmaine Brooks, CRM ERMm
  IMERGE Consulting
  (208) 343-1904

"Grieme, Gary L." <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> [...]

This goes into version control. If you generate a letter in Word, you
would want to store the original document in Word, its native format.
But you'd also want to retain a "snapshot" (hard copy, pdf, image) of
the letter with letterhead and signature. Two versions, two formats.
If this seems too cumbersome, send an e-mail message instead of a
letter.

Gary L. Grieme
Records Manager
(612) 349-8538