From:
John Lovejoy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 May 2006 08:49:41 +1000
Laura

Although it is aimed at the Australian Federal Government, the National Archives of Australia has a publication entitled "Records Issues in Outsourcing" which covers what you should do in cases like this.  It is available at http://www.naa.gov.au/recordkeeping/disposal/authorities/GDA/PDF/GDA25.pdf.

It explicitly states that the contract with the service provider must state what records belong to which party.  Basically, any records which would be required to carry on business after the cesation of the contract should be owned by you.

They also have more general advice on "Records Management Issues in Outsourcing" at http://www.naa.gov.au/recordkeeping/outsourcing/outsource_records/records_manage/issues_outsource/intro.html

Disclosure and Disclaimer: I wrote the Records issues in outsourcing publication, but this post is a personal one, not a post on behalf of my employer.

John Lovejoy