From:
Cheri Adams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 May 2006 15:18:40 -0500
Do any of your organizations have a Vital Records Program in place?  If
so, did you classify your vital records into different vital record
classifications?  According to the ARMA International ANSI/ARMA 5-2003
Vital Records Programs: Identifying, Managing, and Recoverying
Business-Critical Records publication (ANSI/ARMA 5-2003) they recommend
doing so with the classifications listed below.

        Vital A:  Essential for emergency operations.
        Vital B:  Essential for immediate resumption and continuation of
business following a disaster.
        Vital C:  Essential for legal or audit purposes.

My organization's legal counsel is questioning the need to classify the
vital records into different classifications.  They feel that only one
classification is necessary and that is "vital".   It's either vital or
it's not & if it's vital it needs to be backed up.  Classifications don't
matter.

I'm interested in hearing what your organizations have done.

Thank You.

Cheri Adams
Teledyne Isco, Inc.Records Manager
Telephone: 402-465-2084