From:
Janie Wait <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Janie Wait <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 May 2006 12:18:04 -0600
Great topic!  I have been dealing with it for a few years now!

Interestingly enough, when I contracted for my new building only the local
fire chief was familiar with NFPA 232 and 70 in that I am the only
commercial records center north of Colorado to the best of my knowledge (I
have heard that there is one in Montana somewhere but I have not verified
that)

I had to ask him to provide a copy of the codes to my "local" inspectors
here at the airport so that they could and would "verify" that my facility
met these codes - they would not "certify" my facility because they said
they don't have the authority to do so. I ask that they also "re-verify" my
compliance at each annual fire safety inspection with a specific notation on
my inspection report so that I have something to show any interested parties

While I have found that most clients are particularly interested in an
on-site inspection in order to feel comfortable with the the security and
safety measures in place to protect their valuable information assets, being
able to provide written verification of compliance seems a no brainer. I
also offer to provide those annual reports to my storage clients, not that
anyone has taken me up on the offer yet!

Would those on the list that are dealing with this issue feel that my
inspection reports with specific NFPA 232 and 70 code compliance notations
meet your needs and concerns? If not, what would you like/want/need to see
to feel confident that I have done due diligence in this area of concern?

Janie Wait

Janie Wait, CRM, MBA
President
Director of Marketing