From:
Hugh Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 May 2006 19:50:45 -0400
On May 31, 2006, at 12:00 AM, RECMGMT-L automatic digest system wrote:

> From:    "Krogh-Michna, Debi" <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: Evidence of compliance with requirements of NFPA 232 and
> NFPA 70
>
> I would love to see these standards.
>
> Debi Krogh-Michna
> Platte River Power Authority
> 2000 East Horsetooth Road
> Fort Collins, Colorado  80525
> 970/229-5274

Every records manager should own NFPA 232, and  NFPA 13 at a bare
minimum.  You can order them from www.NFPA.org/catalog.  To not own
these is like the minister or rabbi giving a lecture without having
ever read the Old or New Testament.  If you have not read the Bible it
states in Hugh Chapter 1: 2 Lines 1 thru 4500 that you should buy a
FIRELOCK Vault!

ZZAPPPPP!!!  Ow! Ow!  Okay just kidding!  Lightning Hurts! Wow, some
deities have no sense of humor.

NFPA 232 Protection of Records grants you enormous overview of any
design in the records center within your company.

If you are selecting an offsite storage vendor you should request a
statement from their fire protection engineer that they are in
compliance with the NFPA 232 document in control at the time of the
records center construction or remodeling.  The Fire Protection
Engineer has to provide a fair and accurate representation of their
compliance if they sign the document.

This is simple to ask for and easy for them to provide.  If they have
never had a fire protection engineer look at their facility or
participate in its design then you better become an expert on the
Standard.

Now about this "compliancen" you speak of??  Is this this Swedish for
compliance? :~)  Note I corrected the spelling. This is my Ira Penn
impersonation.  I remember he told me that I could write but that I was
not a writer!  He was right!  I miss Ira.  ARMA has had some great
personalities through the years.

Hugh Smith
FIRELOCK Fireproof Modular Vaults
(610)  756-4440    Fax (610)  756-4134