From:
John Annunziello <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Jun 2006 08:47:47 -0400
Michelle says:  "We are scanning some documents which will be OCR'd to
create searchable
PDFs. The original paper documents are mostly types correspondence and
various forms. I have done some research which suggest that 300 dpi is
better when using OCR. It seems to suggest that the only disadvantage is
the larger space requirement and that may not be specific. I am
interested to know if any one else on the list has an opinion and/or
experience regarding the differences between 200 and 300 dpi for this
type of application."

We have done the same research and found that the OCR'ing works best at
300dpi rather than 200 dpi.  Yes, the file size is bigger.  he only
exception we have is when the file is in colour and we do scan them at
200dpi just because of the file size.  We also scan our documents in a
TIFF format.  The problem with PDF is that some of the older versions have
to be migrated, otherwise you can't open the file.

 Although TIFF was a former Adobe product, it is now considered
non-proprietary, and accordingly older TIFF's can be opened now and should
be opened well into the future without migration.

John Annunziello
Manager, Records and Information
Toronto and Region Conservation Authority

"Information is a corporate, strategic asset that needs to be managed"