From:
"Colgan, Julie J." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Jun 2006 11:28:19 -0400
 <http://mm1.lettermark.net/agg/lhead/Standard.map>

We have successfully implemented an email "archiving" solution using
Zantas' EAS product.  However, the archiving solution is NOT a records
management solution.  All it does is pull email off of exchange and into
a database, leaving a "stub"/"pointer"/"shell" in the user's inbox.  The
messages are moved based on last access date/time and/or size of the
item, and it is done so without user involvement at all.  The messages
are not locked down, have no retention periods attached and essentially
as vulnerable as they were when they were sitting on exchange.  The
point was to relieve our Exchange server of the weight of stale email
and ensure the messaging functionality (in fact the point of the thing
in the first place) continues to function.

What you are talking about is not an archiving system (as the storage
industry will call it), you are talking about a records management
solution for email ... And unfortunately we are in the same place (or at
least similar) as you.  I am in the process of evaluating options and
want to do the same as you - keep it as simple as possible for the sake
of the end users since they will be the ones interacting with it on a
daily basis.

My main point here is be careful going forward with the terms you use
.. "Archiving" is NOT records management and no "archiving" tool I've
seen will address email based on content and manage retention with all
of the functionality that good RM requires.

If you want specifics re: what we are looking at, please feel free to
contact me off list.

Good luck!

Julie

 <http://mm1.lettermark.net/agg/card/HTBM.map>

Note:
This message and any attachments from the law firm Arnall Golden Gregory LLP may contain CONFIDENTIAL and legally protected information.  If you are not the addressee and an intended recipient, please do not read, copy, use or disclose this communication to others; also, please notify the sender by replying to this message, and then delete it from your system.  Thank you.