From:
"Link, Gary M." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jun 2006 07:44:35 -0400
We are an A/E firm and document our projects both in paper and electronic records. I want to initiate a move toward documenting our project almost entirely electrically. (Some project documentation are construction materials samples and so can never be electronically filed.) I don't mean a conversion re: scanning paper files; I mean re-engineering our process so that the primary copies of project documentation are electric. I'm developing an introductory outline of points to consider, that I wanted to submit to the List for your input on points to include.

Would you please add any points you feel should be listed? Please remember that this will be an introductory top-down outline of major topics, and NOT an exhaustive exploration of every issue that will be encountered throughout.

Points in Initial Outline, in no particular order:

Storage Capacity
Determine which records a born electronic, which exist only in paper and will have to be converted
Access/filing system for active files
Preservation strategy for long-term storage of inactive files
Multiple applications & file types used in projects
Change Management
Filing guidelines for staff/Training

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Gary Link, CRM