From:
"Gervais, JohnA" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jun 2006 06:46:42 -0400
Sounds like a country song in the making Steve!  Call me old fashioned but I hate reading long documents on a computer screen!  I print them out!  However, I also realize and appreciate the value of electronic information.  We have old Super 8 movies at home that my parents shot over 50 years ago and it is still good.  Somebody wanted me to change the film to put it on a CD.  I said why, a CD wouldn't last as long as 50 years!  The real issue is we don't really have a media to protect the longevity of electronic information.  Even the software/databases where the information is stored may not be able to retrieve the information in 50 years and certainly would not be IT supported!  This is why I have preached over the years not to purchase disparate COTS software to manage information. It has to be supported enterprise wide.  I would be really interested in hearing just how many people still prefer to read a hard copy paper, as opposed to information on a computer screen.  I still like the feel of a real newspaper in my hand.  Cheers.
John

John A. Gervais
Program Manager
Policy and Guidelines Section
Information Policy and Governance Division
Statistics and Information Management Directorate
Corporate Strategies and Business Development Branch
Canada Revenue Agency
320 Queen St., Place de Ville, Tower A, 6th Fl.,
Ottawa, ON, Canada, K1A 0L5
Tel: 1-613-946-0245
Facsimile: 1-613-941-9649
E-mail: mailto:[log in to unmask]