Date:
Wed, 28 Jun 2006 17:25:54 -0400
Actually, the NIMS model is an important step in rectifying errors pointed
up in the 9-11 Commission Report. The coordination elements identified in
the NIMS model are key elements of establishing, in advance, an effective
command and control structure at an incident scene. Like any new program, I
am sure the model still has some bugs in it, but it is based on a model that
has been widely used by the National Fire Service for some time. Without
this type of coordination, first responders of all types will have a
difficult time circumventing the confusion and turf battles that are
inevitable at a disaster scene. I have not personally taken the training,
which I believe was the original question, but I have studied the model and
it seeks to involve not only first responders, contingency management
officials, government, etc., but also key private sector infrastructure
providers and other business and citizen elements in the planning structure.

For those interested in drilling down in this area, there are a whole
collection of online modules for training in the various aspects of disaster
response available for download from the FEMA website. If I am not mistaken,
I believe FEMA also offers credentialing in these areas. Also, Homeland
Security has a very good emergency communication module on their website, as
well.

Best wishes,

Jim
--