From:
Hugh Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Jun 2006 16:40:35 -0400
On Jun 30, 2006, at 12:00 AM, RECMGMT-L automatic digest system wrote:

> Subject: Re: Is FM200 Fire Suppression System safe for people?
>
> On 6/28/06, Mohd Azman Bin Kamarolzaman <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>
>> I'm sorry if this topic has been discussed before. However, I'd
>> appreciate
>> if someone can direct me for an answer to this.
>> I've been referring to websites wrt FM200 and found nothing that says
>> it
>> is not safe for people.
>
> Generally speaking, YES FM200 is quite safe, but another compound you
> may
> want to consider is NOVEC 1230

I agree with Larry, check into NOVEC by 3M.  the problem with FM-200
and similar agents are they are pronounced safe at 7%.  But this same
agent presents problems at 14%.  Now if your file room is fine on day
one and the aisles are clear and the concentration is 7% with that
volume of records. is that a static position?  NO!  Four years from now
every nook and cranny is filled, the tops of the shelves near the
lights are jammed and guess what?  The concentration is higher than 7%
and now we have concerns.  But what's a little cardiac sensitivity
among records managers.

NOVEC is rated "No Observable Adverse Effects Level  (NOAEL) and that
is what we like to see in our vaults.  Plus it will not effect the
written document, does not conduct electricity (no shorting out of
PC's, Servers, etc.) and works by evaporating rather than by pure
chemical suppression.  It is safe for historic documents and artifacts.

Plus it is only minutely more expensive than less safe suppressants.

Hugh Smith
FIRELOCK Fireproof Modular Vaults
(610)  756-4440    Fax (610)  756-4134
WWW.FIRELOCK.COM