From:
Maarja Krusten <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jul 2006 09:54:25 -0400
I agree with Steve and Russell.  Russell is correct; some writers are
extraordinarily skilled at creating a sense of time and place and
conveying tactile experiences.  But Steve is right, the original
article mentioned the scent of a perfume associated with the boxed
letters kept by the woman.  Was the scent actually on the letters or
did the writer just remember it in reading the letters?  (I've mostly
worked with government records, no perfume there, ahem.  Does anyone
know from experience how long scent remains on a perfumed-dabbed
letter?  Or one that has been preserved in a box along with sachets,
etc?  Potpourri and sachets lose their strength over time, of course.)

Somehow, I don't think there are many teenage girls around now who, as
they age, will go back and read printouts of messages received from
adolescent boys and associate them with that supposed chick-magnet
scent, Axe, LOL.

Maarja