From:
Chris Browne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jul 2006 12:10:28 -0600
From the perspective of a historian, this has been a great discussion.
While I would enjoy reading the text and a looking at a picture of a 700
year old copy of the Magna Carta online, it would be a whole different
'sensory experience' to see a copy in person in the British Library, and
to be able to feel it and smell it.

I liken it to another pastime of mine - as a baseball fan, I'll watch
any game I can find on cable, but going to a major league park and
experiencing the same game is entirely different from a sensory
perspective. The experience is enhanced by the anticipation of the
event, the sights and sounds, smells, history and proximity, etc. While
I might enjoy an email sent from my grandma, I might enjoy it that much
more if I had the same text handwritten on a piece of Garfield
stationary, complete with motherly smells and smiley faces.

It has been said here that paper and electronic media must coexist. I
totally agree, as each generally serves a clear purpose. One cannot
replace the other (at least not completely.)

Hope everyone had a safe Independence Day!

Chris Browne

**********************

Russell, I agree when they're trying to get the tactile/sensory  point
across,for example in a novel, and are making a conscious effort to do
so.
 Not so with grandma's letters - you truly feel/sense the memories from
the handwriting, sensory environment that the letter was written.  Just
went through the same exercise with some old stuff from my mother-in-law

and there was nothing about the conscious writing style that brought the

flood of memories .  It was the touch,feel,smell of handling the
material
and the personal handwriting.

Steve Petersen CRM
Records Manager