From:
Hugh Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Jul 2006 10:11:49 -0400
SNIPS:

> From:    mwhaider <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Electronic to Paper - What is IT thinking?
>
> No one needs to argue with me why records that are born, stored,
> retrieved and deleted in electronic format are an advantage. But, of
> course,
> there can be disadvantages as well.  Yes, I know there are many ways
> retain electronic records in electronic
> formats, but quite frankly these IT teams think it is much too
> expensive
> (WOW, when did this happen?).  But then I quickly replied, "Sure we can
> store them in paper but how in the world will we search them?"
>
> Tradeoffs - costs, access, security, retention.  Our decisions must be
> flexible and our life cycle management of records requires ongoing
> evaluations - and, yes maybe even a migration from electronic to paper.
> Thanks Mary
>
> --
> Mary W. Haider, CRM
> Records & Information Manager

If you want to get the problems with Data Storage subscribe to
Processor.com.  All it talks about is IT problems and it does it in
very simplistic terms so people like me and SME can understand that.
It will only take you a week or two to figure out this means Small to
Medium Enterprises so they keep things at my level of understanding so
I know all of you will be well past that.  Shoot I still use a 100% MAC
environment in my office.  Alas corporate and Autocad are long gone to
dark side but I tinker on.

Every three months they are onto some new phase in IT.  Now they are
into blade server and are now talking about switching to disk to disk
and in October some new system HTGT.  ( Here Today, Gone Tomorrow).
They have the most fundamental problems.  Blade server emit 10KW of
heat but the Server Room is only equipped to cool to 3 KW so everything
keeps overheating and then they bring in spot coolers.  Now they find
they can get it too cool?  Who guesses that one?  But then they get too
hot in spots so they AVTECH environmental monitors and infrared cameras
to find the problem areas.  (As soon as the price goes down I will buy
one because they sound cool.  ......... well, actually they shoot only
an outline with the heat pronounced in red color.  Well you know what I
mean.)

Trust me they do not live in a world of down hill ice skating.  So Mary
has already uncovered the IT achilles heal.
Hugh Smith
FIRELOCK Fireproof Modular Vaults
(610)  756-4440    Fax (610)  756-4134
WWW.FIRELOCK.COM