From:
Lauren Nathanson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jul 2006 11:37:49 -0400
We are in the process of rolling out our new EDMS (we chose Hummingbird),
and some issues regarding retention of versions have come up. Just wanted
to see if anyone has had a similar issue, and how you handled it.

Our EDMS has a DM and an RM component. We set retention at the folder
level, and the process is automated. For example, Document X is to be
retained for 3 years from the date of creation. Because the DM and RM
components are connected, the system assigns the documetn retention period
based on the retention schedule in the RM component. So in the case of
Document X, when the three years is up, a notice is sent to the records
manager.

Our issue is that it is not uncommon for us to have multiple versions of a
document. If the document is revised, for example, it would be versioned
on top of the original document as version 2. Here are my questions:

--Does the 3 year retention period start over when version 2 is created?
--Do version 1 and version 2 have separate retention periods, meaning
should versions 1 and 2 be removed from the EDMS 3 years from their
respective creation dates? Hummingbird does not allow you to delete
versions of documents, so that would be an issue.

I would appreciate any suggestions!

Lauren Nathanson
Records Analyst
ERCOT