From:
"Dickson, Terra" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jul 2006 09:48:05 -0700
Hi Lauren,

We have had Hummingbird DM and RM in place since 2001.

In our system, the retention process is triggered when the file closes.
It is not necessarily based on when a specific document was created.

Example 1:  Tender, Quotations, and RFP case file series - once the RFP
is complete, all of the documents in that file are kept for an
additional six years and then disposed of (transferred to archives or
destroyed).  So, if the RFP process carries over to a second calendar
year, the file is not closed until the second year.  Thus, all of the
documents in that file (regardless of date created) are retained based
on the file closing in the second year.

Example 2:  Annual file series - when the file closes at the end of the
year, the file is kept for the required number of years to fulfill our
legal, administrative, etc duties and then disposed of.

Does this help you or have I just muddied the waters?

Terra Dickson
Records & Information Administrator
City of Coquitlam
3000 Guildford Way