From:
Roger Hamperian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jul 2006 15:24:50 -0400
Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Roger Hamperian and I am the Senior
Records Manager for the Lexington Fayette Urban County Government in
Lexington, KY. I am relatively new to RM having made a career change last
fall after working 4 years at the Univ. of Kentucky as a reformatting
librarian and archivist. I have been monitoring the listserv for about 5
months. Needless to say, I have a lot to learn about RM, but the listserv
has been very helpful in giving me a jumpstart.

My first query to the listserv pertains to personnel records. I should begin
by saying Lexington employs approx. 3,500 people and maintains its own
off-site storage facility for inactive records. Recently I was informed by
Human Resources that they were beginning a scanning project to digitize all
of their active personnel files. They want to send all of these active files
to the Records Center after they have been scanned. To this point I didn't
foresee any problems. Wrong! I have since learned that HR expects to be able
to send additional documents to the Records Center after they are scanned to
be added to the files already in storage. This seems unfeasible to me given
the amount of documentation created by HR. Even if the files are boxed so as
to allow room for future expansion, it seems inevitable that at some point
they will reach their capacity and need to be reboxed. This would no doubt
require a great deal of time and effort with the actual files as well as
revising the inventory, not to mention the additional labor required to
continually add documents to these files. I find these expectations
unrealistic given our current budget and staffing (1.5 FTE in addition to
myself).

Has anyone out there faced a similar situation? Any suggestions on how to
respond? Thanks.

Roger Hamperian

Records Management Analyst Sr.

L.F.U.C.G. Records Center and Archives