From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Aug 2006 07:35:21 -0700
Barry Malone wrote: I'm looking for a general consensus for the
> retention of paper records request, received and completed by the
> official repository.
>
> Barry, I assume you mean circulation requests?  If so, we keep them for
> a minimum of 3 months and a maximum of 6 months.  We consider them
> transitory/operational, so once the request has been filled, QC
> completed and a sufficient amount of time has passed for any necessary
> problem resolution, they are destroyed.  Any statistical needs can be
> filled with reporting from our ARMS.

We used to follow a similar policy, but modified it a bit.  The requests are
kept in a chron file and maintained for CY+1, and a copy of the request is
retained with the out card in the file location until the file returns.
This way, if someone else is looking for the file once it has been removed,
we don't have to rely on the database to validate who has the record,
because we still have an official request form.

Larry

--
Larry Medina
Danville, CA