From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Aug 2006 09:57:13 -0700
> Julie pondered:
> One of our significant drivers for setting the retention period is
> limited filing space which, obviously, necessitates a shorter retention
> to avoid incurring additional processing requirements (imaging, off site
> storage, etc.).  I wonder though, Larry, why keep yours so long?
> Convenience, lesson learned, something else?

One of the final things that ever comes into the determination of setting a
retention period for me is space.  If you don't have enough space, then you
get more... either on-site or off-site.  Or, as you mentioned, you look at
other means of storing things.

Any to an extent, you hit the nail on the head as to why we keep them as
long as we do.  Lessons Learned.  As organizations re-organize and shift
functions between parts of the organization and or staff are relocated on a
temporary or permanent basis (it's not uncommon in our environment for
someone to go on assignment for over a year), someone inevitably comes
looking for records that were part of the function that individual
supported.  There have been many cases where the records were checked out,
and either left behind or inadvertently "traveled" with the individual.
This trackback has been a valuable tool for us, especially the copy kept
with the out card, which also reflects the date, etc. that allows us to
review the chron file if necessary.

We have a similar policy on departing employees, where we record the "New
Custodian/s" of records when someone separates from employment.  These are
filed by Fiscal Year,  alphabetically and retained for 7 years.  Strong
consideration is being given to extending that period for the same reasons
cited above.

Larry
--
Larry Medina