From:
Steve Morgan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Aug 2006 08:17:37 -0700
Jeanne

A lot of it is a state by state thing. I have seen a lot of states & the
IRS, if I remember correctly, normally require that the records must be
preserved until the statute of limitations for making additional
assessments for the period for which the return was due has expired.
Generally, this is three years after the due date of the return or the
date the return is actually filed, whichever occurs later.

There are a number of situations, where the three year limitation on
assessments do not apply. Again, it all depends on the individual
requirements of the states & the IRS.

Steve Morgan
C.J. Segerstrom & Sons, Records Manager
(714) 438-3228 phone