From:
"A.S.E. Fairfax" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Aug 2006 09:29:48 -0700
Jeanne, I can confirm Gary's answer.  But it depends to some extent on
whether there was probate because there was no will. In the event of a
probate, the courts become involved, and the court records relating to the
settlement of the estate are almost always a permanent record.  In the event
that there was a will, it simply needs to be "proved."  That is to say it
needs to be determined that what is in evidence is genuine and final. I
believe there may be more latitude in this case that may vary from state to
state.  You will want to refer to the state and local codes that apply.

Sincerely,

Elizabeth Fairfax