From:
Don Saklad <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Aug 2006 08:06:52 -0400
Censored by the publib moderators at
http://lists.webjunction.org/publib/
Advocate for an end to publib censorship !...
and for a more open forum like at http://project-wombat.org/

The Real Sheet
http://bplpsa.org/
Boston Public Library Professional Staff Association
Volume 35, Number 2
February-March 2006

Letter to Elissa Cadillic, President, AFSCME
Dear President Cadillic,
    We are writing to you, your fellow officers and the members
of AFSCME Local 1526 to communicate our support for the
principled and courageous position you expressed in your letter
dated 9/16/2006 to Boston Public Library President
Bernard Margolis
http://bpl.org/general/seniorstaff.htm

In that letter you responded to President Margolis' request that
you ask one of your members, who wrote an article in your union
newsletter that he found "offensive," to
"reconsider both the substance and tone of her columns, and that
 you cease and desist from printing opinions which are designed
 to pull us apart rather than to help us work together."

    In your response, you pointed out that the union's newsletter
is created, published and paid for by the union members.

Each issue contains a disclaimer that the views expressed do not
necessarily reflect the views of the local.

Most importantly, you asserted, "...the ONLY censoring I will do
of my members will be profanity in print.

I support the right to express their opinions in our union
newsletter and do not feel it is my place to tell them what to
say or how to say it."

    We support you in that position and could not agree more.

President Margolis asserts in his letter that he has spent much
of his career "standing firmly in support of freedom of
expression."

We concur with him about the importance of this position.

That is why we find his request that you "cease and desist" both
a violation of his own principles and the American Library
Association Resolution on Workplace Speech which states that
"libraries should encourage discussion among library workers,
 including library administrators, of non-confidential
 professional and policy matters about the operation of the
 library and matters of public concern within the framework of
 the law." (Library Personnel Practices, #54.21).
http://tinyurl.com/hte2v

    At a time when so many of our best democratic traditions are
under threat, public libraries are critical to help preserve
these traditions, including open and free discussion and debate.

A healthy work environment can only exist when staff feet free to
express their opinions, whether perceived to be positive or
negative.

We are eager to work with you, your members and the
administration to help create a work environment at the Boston
Public Library where all of us feel free to express our opinions,
without fear of retribution.
Sincerely,
Boston Public Library Professional Staff Association Executive
Board

PSA E-Board
President John Devine, Microtext Department x2226
 jdevine at bpl.org
Vice-President/President Elect Betsey Lipmeier,
 Government Documents Department x2226 blippmeier at bpl.org
Past President Richard Campagna, Accounting Department x4393
 rcampagna at bpl.org
Chief Steward Karen Shafts, Print Department x2280
 kshafts at bpl.org
Secretary Marta Pardee-King, Social Sciences Department x2261
 mpardeeking at bpl.org
Treasurer Liz Smith, Hyde Park Branch x 3206 esmith at bpl.org
Representative from Central Jane Kenschaft,
 General Reference Department x2017 jkenschaft at bpl.org
Representative from Central Jon Cuppini,
 Systems Department Office x4232 jcuppini at bpl.org
Representative from Branches Amy Manson, Connolly Branch x1110
 amanson at bpl.org
Representative from Branches Barbara Rhodes, Jamaica Plain x1410
 brhodes at bpl.org
Professional Staff Association Contact Information
PSA Office, McKim Building, Stack 3
across from Interlibrary Loan Department
tel 617 536-5400 x2252
fax 617 262-5452
PSA E-Board email distribution list psaboard at bpl.org
email distribution list for all PSA members psa at bpl.org

The Real Sheet
Boston Public Library Professional Staff Association
Table of Contents  Page
Features
President's Message  2
Notes from Under     4

Minutes
PSA E-Board
2/10/2006            2
3/10/2006            3
Membership Meeting   5

Reports
Joint Health and Safety  5
Grievance Report         6
Letter to AFSCME President  1

Real Sheet Union Newsletter Editors
Katie Barett, Social Sciences Department x2261
 lbarrett at bpl.org
Jane Kenschaft, General Reference Department x2255
 jkenschaft at bpl.org
Marta Pardee-King, Social Sciences Department x2261
 mpardeeking at bpl.org
Betsy Schultz, Brighton Branch x3010 eschultz at bpl.org
Karen Shafts, Print Department x2280 kschafts at bpl.org
Send submissions for the Real Sheet by the
15th of each month.

Submissions may be edited.

We encourage you to send in items for the Staff Achievement
section.

Items can include professional honors, workshops and conferences
attended or presentated, as well as your departmental and branch
programming.

PSA Office Hours
Monthly 2nd Wednesday 1-2pm
Monthly 4th Thursday 12-1pm
Come and join brown bag update sessions with PSA members
http://bplpsa.org/