From:
"Jones, Virginia" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Aug 2006 08:48:22 -0400
I hate to get Steve Whitaker started, BUT ... in the old paper based days, we did not have control over how long a recipient of our correspondence kept the documents, we did not tell other businesses or government entities what retention they could place on documents we sent them, and we were able to review all potential destruction of our records before it happened.  With the advent of electronic records, it has become both easier and more difficult to apply RIM principles simply because of the way electronic systems behave.

However, software that gives us control over the recordkeeping practices of recipients of our documents is not necessarily a good thing.  Keeping in mind that retention is based on fiscal, historical, legal AND administrative (business need) values, my company should not be telling another company what their retention value of my correspondence or documents sent should be.  It is their business need that will drive their retention value decisions, not our business need (in addition, of course, to the other three values).  Conversely, another business controlling our retention of the documents they submit to us is also not appropriate.  Patrick's example of contracts is a good one.  Since I work for a local government entity, I can imagine several situations where senders would LOVE to control how long we keep certain documents they submit.

Ginny Jones
(Virginia A. Jones, CRM, FAI)
Records Manager
Information Technology Division