From:
"Piotrowski, Charles" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Aug 2006 11:12:06 -0400
When I was RM at UCSC we centralized FOI requests and Subpoenas in the
Chancellor's Office under the Assistant Chancellor. It was still up to
the departments to dig for the information and affirm that they were
completely responsive and route the material to the Chancellor's Office.

This was mostly to (not in any order here):
1. Prevent staff un-knowledgeable in the rules of protecting personal
information from giving out protected personal information.
1a. It liberated the front-line staff from awkward conflicts and
unnecessary work when they could say to the requesting public "it is our
practice not to accept requests at this office, please make all requests
through the Chancellor's Office, please contact them at...."
2. to ensure that the Campus replied to all requests in a consistent
manner
3. to track the timetable for responding and ensure that we met the
deadlines for responding
4. provide one point of contact for the requestor and one point of
contact for answering the request within the campus.
5. California's Public Records Act requires that institutional public
record officers act as reference librarians. If someone asked for
"Everything on dorm construction" we couldn't just say the request was
too broad and ignore it, we had to work with the requestor to help them
to ask for the information they wanted. We felt (as pseudo-librarians
and central records keepers) that we were better prepared to do this
than the dozens of department employees with 0 reference skills.
6. to measure, and then put a budget figure on, the cost of responding
to requests.
7. As residents of the Chancellor's Office we could speak as a campus
wide authority in a way that showed that the campus took FOIA seriously.
(Our Asst Chancellor was officially the office of record for FOIA
requests and responses.)
8. As residents of the Chancellor's office we had an above the silo view
that allowed us to see where information was throughout the entire
campus. This allowed us to be completely responsive as a campus.

It seems that UCSC may have modified this process and it is no longer
available on the www, but the subpoena process is similar and you may
wish to review the following web page:
http://iam.ucsc.edu/IP-Staff/Memo%20to%20Campus.htm

Chuck Piotrowski
CVPS