From:
Bernard Chester <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 17 Aug 2006 08:50:09 -0700
Bill:

I will only tell you my opinion, based upon experience.

While I am glad that your system is running well, I would do it differently.
I would use 300 dpi and G4 compression, which will counteract some of the
file size growth.  I would not go below 200 dpi in any case.  There is no
question that overall, 300 is a better choice for recognition, particularly
if you move to semi-structured forms or have dense layouts.  What error rate
are you getting with 200?  Might there be specific forms where 300 could
make a difference in overall performance?

It is increasingly rare to hear people talk about storage as an issue, based
upon the recent pricing - $100 for 250GB magnetic.  Of course, I don't know
how many images you are collecting in your system.

While the film looks good today, I have concerns about how it would look
over time -- they may be unfounded. The extra resolution can't hurt.

Bernard Chester, CDIA+, ICP
Principal
IMERGE Consulting / PNW Office
7683 SE 27 Street, #316