From:
"White, Bruce" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Aug 2006 10:07:16 -0700
Steven D. Whitaker said:
>Personally I believe there are better options for backup of the info
than >film.

For short term records (<10 years) I would probably agree.  Long term,
that's another matter.  As discussed many times before on this forum,
changes in technology (both hardware and software) must be considered.
Migrating records to new formats and/or systems is an alternative but
also can be a very expensive proposition, especially if you are using
proprietary software to manage the records.

At least with microfilm (and, oh my gosh, paper) you don't have to deal
with the migration issues and headaches that go along with long term
storage and access issues.  Don't get me wrong, I'm all for going
electronic where necessary.  But I also believe there are places for
microfilm and yes, even paper, as part of effectively managing an
organization's records.  All part of evaluating your requirements and
then determining which media best fits your needs.

Bruce L. White, CRM, PMP
San Diego, CA
TEL: 619-696-4671