From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Aug 2006 11:36:30 -0700
On 8/18/06, Graham Kitchen <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Haven't we always had Retention Management?  Isn't that why we have
> classification systems and retention schedules?  Or is there something
> in this "Retention Management" that I am missing?

Well, WE, as RIMs, HAVE always had Retention Management and practices and
policies... but what we HAVEN'T HAD is :

RtM!!!!

And why?  Because Micro$loth hadn't developed it and offered to sell it to
us as THEIR CONCEPT before!

We also have always had life cycle management of records and information,
but thanks to the Storage Industry, we now have :

ILM!!!!

And why?  Because our version was TOO DIFFICULT to comprehend and deploy...
there was no successful way to implement it across the ever growing
repositories of information and "control the costs of storage being driven
by compliance"!

Sometimes I think we get so involved in the "glitzy" technology that we
> forget the basics.  If we don't apply the basics to the glitzy
> technology, then what have we got?........ GIGO!

As I've said before about ILM, and will say now about RtM, it's NOT A
TECHNOLOGY.... it's a process based on application of best practices.  These
best practices have been developed through evaluating laws, regulations and
other guidance, determining business needs, and considering other potential
historic, enduring and/or intrinsic value of information generated in the
course of business.

Once these have been developed, organizations may choose to go out and seek
technological "tools" to help them accomplish this, and then apply the tools
to assist in carrying out the best practices, but the tools are not intended
to replace anything, only to enhance it.

As Laura said, we'll continue to have new concepts coming down the pipeline
every few years, and the larger the organization that pushes the concept,
the bigger the splash it will make, but when it's all over, all that will be
left is ripples in the RIM pond.

Larry
--
Larry Medina