From:
"Allen, Doug" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Aug 2006 09:44:08 -0400
Lisa,

I'm not an attorney, don't play one on TV, but did marry one.

Regarding the questions relating to electronic records destruction.  I would
recommend that you follow the same procedures with the destruction of
electronic records as you follow with paper or microfilm based records.
Maintaining Certificates of Destruction for those records makes sense.

In fact, some systems provide for a documented and automated approval
process for electronic records destruction....so it is possible to maintain
that information within the electronic records management system software
itself (assuming that a D.O.D. ERMS solution is in place).

As far as how long to retain that information.  To the best of my knowledge,
most organizations retain certificates of destruction for paper and
microfilm based records on an indefinite (should I even say permanent)
basis.

Douglas P. Allen, CRM, CDIA+
Business Development Manager