From:
"Allen, Doug" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Aug 2006 13:22:15 -0400
I do not believe that there are formal legal mandates that require companies
to maintain documentation regarding the deletion / destruction of e-records,
but that is apt to vary from industy to industry....... and state to state.
In so far as I know, however, there are no specific regulations that deal
with destruction requests and certificates.

The underlying issue relates to potential future litigation and your
organization's ability to defend the organization against potential charges
of spoliation, or of failing to implement appropriate controls over the
destruction of electronic records.

My recommendation would be to put the question back in the laps of Legal,
Audit and IT...and ask them how they would ensure the protection of the
organization against any future accusations (in court or by regulatory
agencies), that records were destroyed without proper approval and without
proper oversight.

Douglas P. Allen, CRM, CDIA+