From:
mwhaider <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Aug 2006 10:03:53 -0500
Hi Brent,
What you are describing is what we call the Disposal Notices.  We keep these
to document the approval process.  Some people do not issue Disposal Notices
because they feel the signoffs on the Retention Schedule does the same
thing.

Because we use a functional retention schedule that does not necessarily
identify each departmental records category by name we use the Disposal
Notice (which usually shows up years after the retention schedule categories
are approved) to function as that final sign-off.  It also helps catch any
intended freezes/holds that were missed along the way.

In my world a Certificate of Destruction (from a vendor or records center
manager) simply documents that "the records" were destroyed

This same process can be implemented when we are capturing our electronic
docs in a Records Management system.
Thanks Mary

Mary W. Haider, CRM