From:
Gerard Nicol <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Aug 2006 17:01:36 -0400
In relation to Larry's comments:

>Yeah, yeah, yeah... that might be one way of going about it, but if IT is
>responsible for the tapes, the first thing I'd do is aske them to show you
>their policy and procedure for generation of the tapes and their management
>and control.  At minimum, they should have a documented practice for
>labeling, and it should include the server/device the tape is generated
from
>and the date it was generated on.

If IT are asking for advice they probably don't know the answers to these
questions themselves.

The tapes could have well been written by a system that no longer exists,
that was managed by staff who long since moved on, whose labeling system
involved post-it-notes.

In the long standing IT tradition you can curse anyone who has moved on all
you like, but it does not fix the problem does it?

Incidentally, walk through most data centers today and you will still find
people managing tapes with spreadsheets on their desktops and post-in-notes
or labels with pencil scribbling.

Gerard