From:
"Jones, Virginia" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Aug 2006 16:06:30 -0400
<Is there a written policy in IT that states WHAT the backup tapes are
being
kept for, what the contents represent, and how they are to be used?>

Not at this time.  There ARE written policies on what is considered an
"archive" - in fact the active servers and a new SAN - and the rotation
schedule is formalized.  We actually do use the backup tapes for when
"Mr. X accidentally deleted some files,"  but only if he catches the
loss before the tape is rotated.  We also save an "annual" tape
indefinitely, which essentially shows a snapshot of all the server files
and docs at midnight Dec. 31 each year.  Because it is an only once a
year snapshot, it cannot be used for full "archiving" purposes.

<I'm speaking of when you do this through Outlook in a native
environment,>

We use the "archive" feature in Outlook, directing the files to go to a
"home" server location rather than the MS exchange server.  However, in
order to retrieve the files, it is necessary to establish a place within
the Navigation Pane for the archived messages to be viewed and opened. I
set a group of folders call "archive" (real original).  It is not
possible to open the "pst" file of messages from Explorer, for example.

<It's my understanding that when you convert to PST:>

<- you lose any attachments that were initially on the message,>
All my archived e-mails have their attachments.

<- any embedded text (like an image or a chart, etc) becomes lost,>
I have several e-mails in my archive that still have embedded images.

<- you either lose the original metadata (sender's ISP, date and time
stamps, etc)  or it becomes altered to the collection/conversion
date/time,> I don't know

<- you can't search a repository of PST files>
Yes you can, using the "find" capability in Outlook, although it has the
same search limitations as any Outlook mailbox.

Ginny Jones
(Virginia A. Jones, CRM, FAI)
Records Manager
Information Technology Division