From:
Sharon Burnett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Aug 2006 10:28:17 -0700
I work on litigations quite a bit - about 60% of my time. I manage all our
document discoveries which include both paper and electronic files. I also
oversee and sometimes perform email searches.

Depending on the search, we'll use Advanced Find in Outlook for less complex
criteria or we'll use X-1 for larger, complicated searches. We always
produce emails in electronic format. Outside counsel may print to paper
later, but our responses will always be electronic and in native format.

PST files can be searched using Advanced Find (or just Find if its simple),
but if you have to search many PSTs it is better to restore and search from
the target mailbox. Emails saved to PSTs do retain their metadata and their
attachments.

Currently we do not have an email archive, but we will be selecting and
purchasing by the end of the year.  Implementation will happen early next
year. We'll be reducing our tape retention to 30 days and backups will
strictly be for business continuance purposes only.

We have had to restore a very large mailbox from a long time ago from our
backup tapes. Thankfully we "lucked out" and the exercise was not too bad -
but I wouldn't recommend it. We just happened to come up with the right
version of Exchange and I guess the sun & moon were in alignment. Real
nail-biter.

FYI - I work in the private sector for a privately owned company. The owners
are very into history and preserving their legacy. I am telling you this
just to give you a little more context about our environment. We are not a
typical business model (who is anymore).

Rock on!
Sharon Burnett
Seattle WA

PS It sounds like I should be in Reno this weekend. The English Beat and
cool cars...what else do you need? Oh yes - BARBEQUE!!!

Steve - don't have too much fun!! Better yet - take some pictures and
forward them up!