From:
Alexis Gaston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Sep 2006 12:32:10 -0500
Hello,

I am a new librarian who has no real records management experience so I
thought I'd ask people who do this kind of thing for a living.

Our law firm has a client, a company that has been sold and is now
publicly traded.  A few years ago (before I was in the library) our firm
established a 'data room' with a couple hundred 3 ring binders
containing everything you'd want to know about this particular company.

These binders are currently divided in to 20 sections (including General
Information, Financial Statements, Financing Agreement,
Taxation/Assessments, Insurance Policies and Claims, Litigation and
other Legal Proceedings, etc) coded with a very simple 1,2,3-A,B/C
numbering system (we have no computer system to do this type of thing so
it has got to be a manual system that we use).

For example, the topic Audit Letter for year ended 2002 would be
designated the number 6.A.1.

6: Litigation and other Legal Proceedings

            A: Litigation and Possible Claims,

                        1: Audit Letter for year ended 2002).

The deepest level of numbering is 3 levels and any subsections beyond
the letter Z become AA, BB, CC, etc.

Now that the company is publicly traded, they would like to be able to
add and withdraw material to/from the binders to keep them up to date
and this numbering system does not seem to be conducive to (and was not
designed for) adding new information. I am looking for suggestions for a
more flexible indexing system that will easily be able accommodate new
information as it comes up.

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Sincerely,

Alexis Gaston

Librarian

THOMPSON DORFMAN SWEATMAN LLP