Date:
Thu, 7 Sep 2006 15:28:40 -0400
Ray:

There are four factors that I would use in evaluating the choice:

* Cost
* Capabilities
* Business Focus
* Information Security

* Cost
It can be cheaper to outsource than build your own, particulary once you
add in maintenance, training and staffing.  For small organizations and /
or efforts, it just may not make business sense to do it yourself.

* Capabilities
Is your staff up to the task?  You may not have the talents or head count
to support an in-house system.

* Business Focus
Some organizations intentionally choose NOT to do things internally that
are not core competencies or proprietary knowledge that they can hire out.
Microsoft has been taken this attitude ffor years, and witness Boeing's
outsourcing construction of all of the pieces of the 787 Dreamliner.

* Information Security
In some cases, you cannot accept having your information in a third party's
hands.

I'm sure that the gang will have additional points.

Bernard Chester, CDIA, edp, ICP, MIT
IMERGE Consulting, PNW Office
206-23-9253 / 206-979-7389