From:
"Smith, Bonnie D." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Sep 2006 09:53:00 -0500
It can go either way.
If the client owes the firm money they have to zero out the account and
they the files can be released.
If the volume of the records is large the receiving attorney is notified
when the boxed files are ready to be picked up and they make
arrangements to have them transferred.  I guess the receiving attorney
can charge back the cost to the client.
If the client is only releasing one or two cases to the departing
attorney but continuing to do business with the original firm then the
original firm pays the transfer charge.