From:
"Jones, Virginia" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Sep 2006 13:42:12 -0400
According to ANSI/ARMA 5-2003 Vital Records:
Identifying, Managing, and Recovering Business-Critical Records, the
definition of vital records is:

"records that are fundamental to the functioning of an organization.
Certain vital records contain information critical to the continued
operation or survival of an organization during or immediately following
a crisis.  Such records are necessary to continue operations without
delay under abnormal conditions. They contain information necessary to
recreate an organization's legal and financial status and to preserve
the rights and obligations of stakeholders, including employees,
customers, investors, and citizens.
[Some vital records may be unique and not easily reproducible, or the
cost of reproduction or replacement may be considerable. They may be
required in their original form to meet or fulfill evidential
requirements. Records should be classified as vital only for as long as
they support critical business processes and fulfill the requirements
described above. Once they have fulfilled this role, they should be
reclassified. (Examples are included in Appendix A.)]"

Identifying specific vital records for your organization, and
determining the best methods of protecting them, is based on a proven
methodology best described in ANSI/ARMA 5-2003.  There is also helpful
information in the publication "Emergency Management for Records and
Information Management Programs (Jones & Keyes, 2000).  Both are
available from the ARMA International Book Store at
http://www.arma.org/bookstore/index.cfm.

We currently use back-up tapes stored off-site to protect our electronic
vital records.  We will be using an off-site SAN (Storage Area Network)
in the future for our large applications, while continuing to use the
back-up tapes for our servers.

Ginny Jones
(Virginia A. Jones, CRM, FAI)
Records Manager