From:
Nolene Sherman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Sep 2006 10:57:29 -0700
I had been training our employees that if a document falls under one the
the series in the retention schedule, then they must document the
destruction of those documents as part of our annual destruction
process. I have just come upon a new set of documents that need only be
kept for a rolling 12-month period. On one hand, I think these should be
added to the schedule because they ARE required records. However, since
these can be voluminous, these documents will be destroyed every month
--- i.e. January 2004 is destroyed when you start filing January 2005
records; February 2004, when you file February 2005, etc.

On the other hand, documenting monthly destruction is going to be
problematical, so I could just put these records under our "General
Retention Rule" which states (Schedule A is the retentions schedule):

The General Retention Rule provides that any record not subject to a
specified retention period (i.e., not described in Schedule A to this
Policy) should be destroyed not later than one year after the date of
its last use or (if later) the completion of the project to which the
record relates. The General Retention Rule establishes the maximum
retention period for records that have not been described in Schedule A
to this Policy.  There is no minimum retention period applicable to such
records.  Employees are permitted to destroy such records at any time
and should destroy such records promptly when they are no longer useful.

Except that these records DO have a specified retention period.

How, or even should, the documentation of the destruction of these
records be handled?

Nolene

Nolene Sherman | Director of Records Management | Standard Pacific Homes