From:
"Pike, Heather" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Sep 2006 10:25:06 -0400
<,Local jobs in the records management industry are critical, if people
> want to protect their local industry they had better come up with
> something better than xenophobia to argue their position.>>

The risks are real. Cheap labor is cheap for a reason, regardless of the
landmass on which is sits, and cheap labor is what offshore is all
about. There is no free ride! The fuzzy stuff has real value too.
Accountablity in delivery, personal initiative in problem
solving,communciations, extension of  social contract, all backed up by
cultural 'scapes and law - all  more challenging when in doing business
with "offshore" providers. It was "buyer beware" 10x over in my small
experience-- it is an extremely resource hungry activity to hard code a
substitute for, or define the cost of, the fuzzy stuff in preparing a
delivery plan and specifications for services. It would be hard to see
how I could be pursuaded to consider "offshore" again for services in IT
or RM for my own customers.

Heather P

Records Management Program