From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Oct 2006 08:52:32 -0700
On 10/2/06, Steve Petersen <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Larry,  I tried to take this survey and struggled. It's really not
> designed to include the inputs of RIM in any detail.  Looks like another
> skued IT survey that really doesn't want the RIM truth.

Steve's observations are relatively close to the mark, and I'm not surprised
by this...

What I would encourage EVERYONE who finds this to be true to do is send an
e-mail directly to Michael Peterson, Program Director, SNIA Data Management
Forum at   [log in to unmask]  and inform him of this.

You can't begin to understand how frustrating it's been attempting to
participate in the discussions with SNIA and in their Forums on issues
related to RIM concerns when they discuss topics that DIRECTLY IMPACT our
profession and the work we do related to managing organization's information
assets.  In the past, they have produced white papers and position
statements on topics that have much more to do with MANAGING information
than STORING it, and it's taken multiple messages with secondary and
tertiary clarifying statements to get the point across to participants that
what they're proposing is completely against the grain of what RIM is all
about!

This 100 year (Long Term) Archive project is critical to those of us faced
with developing the process and procedures for management, migration, and
conversion of information that is required to be retained past the known
lifespan of existing media forms due to degradation and to address software
and hardware obsolescence, with respect to access of information and or
ability to utilize media 15, 25, or 100 years forward.

Yet as Steve noted, there are no questions designed to address the issues
that are of greatest concern to the RIM Profession on this survey.  And for
us to be expected to accept what others who can respond to the questions
posed as what the product offerings will provide as adequate or sufficient
top meet the needs of managing the information effectively and efficiently
is ludicrous.

ARMA has a strategic alliance with SNIA, this is an instance where I feel
ARMA needs to speak for the Profession.

Larry

--
Larry Medina