From:
Doug Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Oct 2006 07:37:05 -0700
Here here!  I am not recommending combining organizations but joint conferences would be wonderful.

Jesse Wilkins <[log in to unmask]> wrote:  Russ Stalters: http://betterecm.wordpress.com/2006/10/03/arma-meet-aiim/

But, what I have observed over the last several years is that ARMA has not
embraced the advances in ECM and RIM technologies and continues to approach
records management from a more traditional paper based approach.

AIIM, on the other hand, has been very progressive in establishing their
Electronic Records Management
Certificate Program. Also, at the last several AIIM conferences records
management has been front and center both as an important topic and focus of
training programs.

My recommendation, ARMA and AIIM should take the first step and join forces
to consolidate the annual conferences. Many attendees have to choose between
one or the other and this way they get the best of both conferences.

Alan Pelz-Sharpe: http://doingitbetter.blogspot.com/2006/10/arma-aiim.html
Two key points Alan makes:
1. ARMA is clearly member led - and a visit to one of their conferences
makes this clear, AIIM (whether for the good or bad) is much more driven by
Vendors. Neither fully understands the others world, and worryingly
technology buyers and decision makers don't make much of a distinction...as
a result we are seeing lots of innapropriate solutions being deployed, and
the failure rate for ECM and Document related systems remains very high.

2. Would love to see more collaboration of training and information in this
space - particularly for SI's and IT staff more familiar with structured
data...Between TAWPI, AIIM, XPLOR and ARMA there is so much potential
synergy...shame more can't be done collaboratively as this space is seeing
such interest and expansion.

Jesse Wilkins

CDIA+, LIT, ICP, edp, ermm, ecms

IMERGE Consulting

(303) 574-1455 office

(303) 484-4142 fax

YIM: jessewilkins8511

The AIIM ERM Master Class returns to Los Angeles Oct 30! Visit

http://www.imergeconsult.com/ermworkshops.html

for details and to register.

Doug Smith
Records Manager
Wiley Rein & Fielding LLP
1776 K Street, N.W.
Washington, D.C.  20006
(202) 719-4455
Opinions expressed are my own and not necessarily my employers.