From:
Jesse Wilkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Nov 2006 10:15:00 -0700
As some of you know I go to several conferences a year - and every year in
addition to ARMA I make sure to go to AIIM and Xplor. Both of them stopped
providing paper handouts, CDs, and proceedings a while back and make the
presentations available for download from the conference website for some
specified period.

One of the challenges we've had on the Program Committee (I served on Boston
2003, Long Beach 2004, and San Antonio 2006) is getting speakers who are
experts in their field, who are good speakers, who are available, and who
will agree to meet the stated requirements to speak. We've gone back and
forth about the requirement to submit presentations on time, and to
"black-ball" those speakers who absolutely, positively, NEVER follow the
requirements, but there seem to be unacceptable political consequences to
doing so. I still don't really understand that myself, as other conferences
do in fact do just that. You don't play nicely, you don't play again for
awhile. I think it was de Gaulle who said, "The graveyards are full of
indispensable [people]."

In the meantime, I have seen several conferences (albeit more IT-ish and
more cutting-edge) move towards the wiki model for the reasons I previously
stated. In brief:
- Materials can be made available as early as the wiki is
- Materials can be updated up to the minute the presentation starts - and
after!
- Materials available can range from PPT, to pre-recorded sessions for those
who miss them (mp3/podcast-type), to supporting materials, to academic
papers, to ?????
- Speakers can grant access to other experts in that area - or to attendees
- to modify the materials
- Materials can also be "published" - at least on my wiki
(http://informata.pbwiki.com) I can output any page to PDF in one step
- It's quite simple to create links between e.g. a basic email management
session at ARMA 2006 and a more advanced followup at ARMA 2007 (same author
or different, doesn't matter)
- And the wiki can remain in place for a year, ten years, the foreseeable
future, using e.g. http://arma2006.pbwiki.com, http://arma2007.pbwiki.com or
http://www.arma2006.com, http://www.arma2007.com
- One big advantage to doing this: the incoming Program Committee will be
able to see who met the minimums, who excelled WRT the supporting materials,
job aids, etc., and try to target those presenters for the next conference -
and pass on those who couldn't be bothered or whose materials were too
proprietary.
- And chapters can use the wiki to see who has presented, their contact
info, and secure their services for chapter presentations, webinars, etc.

Can ya tell I'm excited about the wiki model? :D I'd even volunteer to get
it put together.

Regards,

Jesse Wilkins
CDIA+, LIT, ICP, edp, ermm, ecms
IMERGE Consulting
(303) 574-1455 office
(303) 484-4142 fax
YIM: jessewilkins8511
SL: Jesse8511 Market
Looking for the latest education on electronic records, email, and imaging?
Visit http://www.imergeconsult.com/schedule2.html for a current schedule of
courses.