From:
John Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Nov 2006 15:16:03 -0500
I have to agree with Jesse about the idea of a Wiki or other Web accessible
resource for Conference materials - including having consequences for not
following the rules about actual submission of materials. In fact,
"trademark/copyright/intellectual property concerns" should not be an excuse
as all presenters know ahead of time what is expected. I have noticed some
consistency on the part of some vendors about not submitting materials on
time or after the conference for whatever reason, while the rest of us knock
ourselves out to get it in.

Despite knowing quite a bit about Records Management and Electronic Records,
I still find the ARMA Conference to be an absolutely invaluable source of
new information, as well as, a resource for re-validating and updating areas
of knowledge with which I am already pretty familiar. Critical to this
experience is obtaining the CONTENT. That content is mostly in the form of
presentations or proceedings papers, and there is an expectation from
attendees that they will actually receive these! I actually review
thoroughly 1/3 of all conference submissions, and review in some detail
another 1/3. I can typically only schedule attending in person about 1/4 or
1/5 of the presentations. We need the content available in more ways than
expecting us to be able to schedule sitting if front of every presenter -
and taking notes.

Jesse's idea of a Wiki that could be updated later, even when there are last
minute changes to presentations, is a very good one. I would like to not see
ARMA "shying away from distributing any type of proceedings because of the
difficulty of getting complete sets of the information" just be cause it is
a hassle. ARMA International is two things to its members - content and
networking - information and people. And for many individuals, the numerous
informative Conference presentations are the best content they get from ARMA
all year long.

John

John T. Phillips
BS, MSLS, CRM, CDIA, FAI